Seamen’s Church Institute’s has announced that its Annual Meeting and Volunteer Appreciation Party will coincide with their final Centennial Speaker Series on Wednesday, November 13th.
As part of the Centennial Speaker Series Event, Ruth Taylor, Executive Director of the Newport Historical Society will be speaking about “How the past can inform the future: The history of Seamen’s Church and where it might go from here.”
Ruth Taylor has been the Executive Director of the Newport Historical Society since 2006. Previously, she was a nonprofit Board and Management Consultant and the first President of the International Yacht Restoration School (IYRS). Her expertise is in public history and in managing institutional change.
At Seamen’s Church Institute of Newport on Wednesday night, the Annual Meeting will take place at 6 pm, Taylor’s presentation at 6:30 pm, and the reception will begin at 7 pm. The event is free and open to the public. There are limited seats, so registration is encouraged.
Seamen’s Church Institute of Newport is located at 18 Market Square.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits