Louise J. Carr, 90, of Newport and formerly of Middletown, died Saturday, November 16, 2019 at St. Clare in Newport. She was the wife of Joseph E. Carr.
Born in Los Angeles, CA on February 23, 1929 to the late Harry F. and Jessie V. (Curran) Tubley.
Louise was a graduate of St. Catherine’s Academy, class of 1946 and the Newport School of Nursing in 1950.
She had worked for many years at Newport Hospital, for many local doctors and as a private duty nurse. As a volunteer she worked for Meals on Wheels, St. Clare Home and the Visiting Nurse Service now the Visiting Nurse Home & Hospice.
Louise was a lifelong parishioner of St. Joseph Church; she was a Eucharistic Minister and member of the Rosary and Altar Society.
She is survived by her 7 children, Daniel Carr (Rachel) and Patrick Carr (Maureen) all of Tiverton, Michael Carr (Geraldine) of North Scituate, RI, Timothy Carr (Catherine) of Portsmouth, Lisa Carr and Linda Carr both of Middletown and Susan Perry (Andrew) of Del Ray Beach, FL. Grandmother of 15, great-grandmother of 22 and great-great grandmother of 2.
Visiting hours will be held on Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at the O’Neill-Hayes Funeral Home, 465 Spring St, Newport from 3-6pm. Louise’s funeral will be on Thursday, November 21 at St. Joseph Church, Broadway and Mann Ave, Newport at 9:30 AM. Burial St. Columba Cemetery, 465 Brown’s Ln, Middletown.
In lieu of flowers, donations in Louise’s memory may be made to St. Clare – Newport, 309 Spring St., Newport, RI 02840.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- RI Hospitality Association’s 18th Annual Economic Outlook Breakfast predicts continued recovery in 2022
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck