Our mother, Joan Marie Ramos, more affectionately known as “Quita” passed away on November 17, 2019, in her home surrounded by loved ones. She leaves behind three daughters Dierdre Pina, Kimberly Pina, Nikki Ramos and a granddaughter that lit up her life, Gabrielle Burris. She will truly be missed by her baby girl Chloe. Joan also leaves to mourn her passing, her sister Denise Monteiro Keesee and her husband Elijah.
Joan graduated from St. Catherine’s. She was a hairdresser for some years and then went to school to become a lab technician. She went on to become a phlebotomist and retired after 20+ years at RI Hospital. She was a creative genius who loved sewing, knitting and cooking.
Quita was preceded in death by her mother, Olga Pina, her brother, Joseph Pena, her late husband Nicholas Ramos, and her longtime companion Martin “Gerry” West.
She will be missed by all. Please keep our family in your thoughts and prayers.
Calling hours will be Sunday, November 24, 2019, from 4:00-7:00 at Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport. Burial to be private.
Source: Memorial Funeral Home
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Concert Recap and Photos: Alice Cooper and Ace Frehley at Leader Bank Pavilion (September 21, 2021)
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates