Here’s what’s on tap for road construction and traffic in Newport County this upcoming week.
Rhode Island Department of Transportation
The following road and lane closure notices are effective for the week of November 1- 8, 2019. All schedules are weather-dependent and subject to change. Visit RIDOT’s Travel Advisories website for a full listing of statewide lane closures.
Middletown: Alternating lane closures along Rte. 138A, Purgatory Rd. and Crescent Rd. for striping, Sun., 7 a.m.-5 p.m.
Little Compton: Rte. 77, from Meetinghouse Rd. to Peckham Rd., alternating one-way traffic for drainage work, Mon.-Tues., 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
Rhode Island Turnpike & Bridge Authority
The following road and lane closure notices are effective for the week of November 3 – 9, 2019. All schedules are weather-dependent and subject to change.
Newport Claiborne Pell Bridge
!!!! PLEASE NOTE: THE SPEED LIMIT ON THE NEWPORT PELL BRIDGE !!!! !!!! HAS BEEN LOWERED TO 25 MPH !!!!
*NPB Roadway Deck Repair Project*
– For the period from 8/12/2019 through November 2019 there will be work taking place 24 hours a day with a Permanent Lane Closure in the Westbound Travel Lane between spans 2E to 22E. Lanes of travel Eastbound and Westbound will alternate to allow 2 lanes into Newport during morning rush hour (6am to 9am) and 2 lanes out of Newport during afternoon rush hour (3pm to 6pm). At all other times the contractor may utilize one other lane which would leave one lane of traffic open in each direction.
Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge Eastbound Right Lane Closure- 11/4 to 11/8- 9 am to 2 pm
Route 138 Connector There are currently no Lane Closures on the Route 138 Connector.
Mount Hope Bridge Southbound Lane Closure- 11/4 to 11/7- 9 am to 3 pm Southbound Lane Closure- 11/8- 9 am to 1 pm Southbound Lane Closure- 11/9- 5 am to 11 am
Sakonnet River Bridge There are currently no Lane Closures on the Sakonnet River Bridge
Visit RITBA’s Travel Advisories website for updates and more information.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits