Sail Newport has announced that they will host a lecture on the polar wilderness through the eyes of several Newporters who traveled to the Southern Hemisphere.
The event is scheduled from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm on Thursday, October 17th.
Susan Daly will present stories and spectacular imagery from Patagonia and South Georgia. Daly also traced some of the footsteps of the historic Shackleton Expedition and will share her experience.
Also, Janette and Rufus Van Gruisen and family, who explored Cape Horn and areas in Antarctica, will engage guests with stunning multimedia of the scenery, wildlife and environment.
Tickets are $15 ($10 for members of Sail Newport). Cost includes the lecture, beer, wine and appetizers. Lecture takes place in Sail Newport’s building at 72 Fort Adams Dr., in the 11th Hour Great Room.
Doors open at 5:30 p.m. (open seating) the lecture takes place between 6:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. A short reception follows until 7:30 p.m. Parking is free.
Visit sailnewport.org for ticket purchase, or, call (401) 846-1983. Sail Newport is a non-profit organization.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21