Having now reached its goal of beautifying Newport with one million daffodils, Daffodillion has announced this will be the last year it will distribute free daffodil bulbs to Aquidneck Islanders.
“With the 1,094,250 daffodils that have been donated and planted the past twelve years and that will bloom for generations to come, there is little need for Daffodillion to continue. Quite frankly, we’ve just about run out of space in Newport!” said Daffodillion Project Director John Hirschboeck in a press release.
Since the next two Saturdays will be the last day for free bulbs, Hirschboeck encourages all who would like to plant this fall at home or in their neighborhood to pick up a bag or two of the Dutch Master daffodil bulbs, two dozen to a bag – a value of over $15 per bag at the following places and times – until supplies last:
· Easton’s Beach Rotunda from 9am – noon, Saturday, October 19
· The Middletown Aquidneck Growers Market from 9:00 – Noon, Saturday, October 26
Island-wide community groups and volunteers who would like to plant this fall at schools, churches or City approved public places can receive free bags of 250 bulbs. email Daffodillion@cox.net to arrange delivery.
“This year we purchased 40,000 bulbs for our last give-away, 10,000 of which were distributed in just two hours at the Broadway Street Fair last weekend, so we anticipate they’ll be going fast,” Hirschboeck said. “Donations collected will now go to Newport in Bloom to support their ongoing city beautification efforts.”
For more information on Daffodillion, visit www.Daffodillion.com
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)