Evelyn Hunter (Mahoney) Groves, age 78, of Newport, Rhode Island, passed away on September 11, 2019. She was the wife of the late Louis R. Groves.
Evelyn was born in Newport, RI to Patrick Mahoney and Helen (Axiotes) Mahoney. A graduate of Rogers High School, Evelyn excelled at basketball and was a member of a local women’s travel team. Over the years, she was very active with the Girl Scouts and the Elks Lodge in Newport. Evelyn was an avid reader, loved music, and truly had a ‘green thumb’. She enjoyed crafting and sewing, but found her passion in geneology research. She spent many years fully tracing both the Groves and Mahoney families back multiple generations.
Evelyn is survived by her daughter Laurie Sullivan and her husband Bertram of Cranston, RI and her son Anthony Groves of Clermont, FL, her grandson Alex Groves and his wife Julia, and great grandson Hunter Groves, all of Groveland, FL.
Funeral services will be private.
Memorial donations may be made to the Potter League for Animals, PO Box 412, Newport, RI 02840.
This obituary originally appeared on Memorial Funeral Homes, see it here – https://www.memorialfuneralhome.com/notices/Evelyn-Groves
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals