Emmanuel Church has announced that they have new leadership.
“Please join us welcoming the Rev’d Della Wager Wells, called as Priest-in-Charge at Emmanuel Church, 42 Dearborn Street, Newport. Her first Sunday services will be at 8am and 10am on September 1,” Annie Sherman, Parish Administrator at Emmanuel Church included in an email to press this morning.
Rev’d Della Wager Wells replaces Rev’d Dr. Anita Louise Schell, who departed for St. Ann’s Parish in Old Lyme, CT back in June.
Rev’d Della Wager Wells will serve as Emmanuel Church’s 19th rector.
Her bio, according to the email, includes”Since 2008, she has worked with the Compass Rose Society, an international mission organization supporting the relational ministry of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the global Anglican Communion. Della retired in the fall of 2015 after 30 years of practicing law in Atlanta to begin seminary at Yale. She is married to Jere and they have two adult children, Judson and Aubrey, and a much-loved Labrador retriever, Hank. Della just returned from an academic year – September 1 through May 31 – at St. George’s College in Jerusalem, an Anglican center for pilgrimage, study, and reconciliation, where she served as Berkeley Divinity School at Yale’s first Porter Fellow. As Porter Fellow, she worked with St. George’s Cathedral, St. George’s College, and Jerusalem Peacebuilders, a reconciliation ministry for Israeli, Palestinian, and American teens”.
More from What’s Up Newp
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels
- Newport resident named new VP & Branch Sales Manager at BankNewport’s North Kingstown branch
- Ticket Giveaway: S.G. Goodman Saturday, Oct. 30th at the Newport Casino
- Nor’easter Update: National Grid responding to power outages
- Update: All restrictions lifted on Newport Pell and Jamestown Verrazzano Bridges
- Got storm photos? Send us your pics by 9PM Wednesday
- Obituary: Molly Falconer de Ramel
- Grey Sail Brewing celebrating 10 years
- LIVE BLOG | Rhode Island cancellations, closures, and delays