Innovate Newport and DESIGNxRI announcetoday that the DESIGN FORWARD RI Workshop series will be taking place in Newport this summer.
Running through August and the beginning of September, the series brings business and professional development courses to the design and innovation community. This mix of five (5) three-hour and six-hour workshops is designed to be highly interactive and engaging to build business acumen and strategy for design and innovation-driven small businesses and their employees. All workshops will be held at Innovate Newport, 513 Broadway, Newport, RI 02840.
DESIGN FORWARD RI (DFWD RI) is a program instituted by DESIGNxRI, an organization working to maximize the assets of the RI design community, highlight the breadth of talent in the state, and nurture growth in the sector. DFWD RI is a comprehensive strategic and leadership development skills training program for designers in Rhode Island, funded by Real Jobs RI, an initiative of the RI Department of Labor and Training. While DFWD RI program is mainly presented as a cohort-based program running twice each year, the Workshop series is offered as individual opportunities, and includes a mix of strategic design advancement with professional and business development tools. All Workshop information is listed on DESIGNxRI’s website: www.designxri.com/programs/dfworkshops.
The five Workshops are:
• Thursday, August 22, 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM – Marketing Your Design Business
• Monday, August 26, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM – Business Development Strategies
• Thursday, August 29, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM – User Experience Design & Prototyping
• Friday, August 30, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM – Design-Driven Change Management
• Wednesday, September 4, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM – Entrepreneurial Strategies
The Workshop series is taught by local business leaders and designers, many of whom own award-winning firms and are current or past instructors at institutions including Rhode Island School of Design, Brown University, University of Rhode Island, and Bryant University. The instructors are:
• Scott Asadorian, Entrepreneurial Consultant + Lecturer at University of Rhode Island College of Business
• James Kwon, Founder, CEO, and Lead Strategist of Figmints
• Sara Ossana, Creative Director of Sara Ossana Design + Founding partner and former co-owner of O&G Studio
• Nick Scappaticci, Founder and CEO of Tellart
• Mari Anne Snow, Founder and CEO of Sophaya
• Kristine Merz, Founder and President of Orange Square
The Workshop series is free for Rhode Island residents with a design background, and working in or seeking employment in the design sector. Non-RI resident designers working for employers based in Rhode Island are also eligible with employer approval. Once the participant’s eligibility is confirmed, they will receive an email with a comprehensive enrollment package to be filled out before the workshop. For non-residents or non-designers, they are able to attend the workshops for a fee: $200 for a three-hour course and $350 for a six-hour course. All six-hour courses include coffee and lunch.
For more information, contact Catherine Chung at 920-539-8561, email@example.com. Visit
www.designxri.com/programs/dfworkshops to register.