By Nick Bello– Media Operations Assistant
NEWPORT, R.I. – Newport defeated the Mystic Schooners in the Southern Division Wild Card game Saturday night to advance in the NECBL Playoffs. For the Gulls, Sam Jacobsak picks up the win as Trey McLoughlin picks up the loss for the Schooners.
Mystic jumped out to an early lead in the first after Steven Barmakian scored on a sacrifice fly. The Gulls, however, struck back later in the inning after Chris Hamilton launched a two-run home run to give the Gulls a 2-1 lead. The Gulls would go on to add another run in the fourth, thanks to a solo home run by Joey Bellini to give them a 3-1 lead.
The Gulls weren’t done yet, as they added two runs in the fifth thanks to an RBI double by Justyn-Henry Malloy and a sacrifice fly by Colton Bender that scored Malloy, giving the Gulls a 5-2 advantage. The Schooners would go on to tack on another run in the ninth, however, the lead would be too much for them to overcome as they fall 5-2.
Newport now advances to the Division Championship where they will play a best two out of three series wit
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals