By Stephen Hough – Team Publicist
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. – It was another high-scoring affair between Newport (19-15) and North Adams (20-12) and the SteepleCats found themselves on top again, beating the Gulls 14-9.
The SteepleCats jumped out in front in the first after Joey Porricelli launched a three-run home run. The home run was Porricelli’s third on the season, tying Matt Koperniak for the team lead.
The Gulls would respond with two runs in the third and two more in the fourth inning to take their first lead of the day. Isaiah Thomas was the catalyst for Newport’s success across the two innings, coming away with a pair of singles with two RBI and a run scored.
Like two heavyweight prizefighters, both teams would trade blows back and forth as North Adams answered back with a huge six-run inning as they batted around the lineup in the bottom of the fourth. Newport wouldn’t be outdone, countering with four runs of their own in the top half of the fifth as they sent ten batters to the plate in the inning. The SteepleCats would get the last punch in the hectic two innings though, scoring two more in the home-half of the fifth to make the score 11-8.
Newport would score one more in the seventh when Greg Cavaliere belted his first home run of the season to right field, but North Adams scored three more insurance runs in the eighth to come away with the 14-9 victory.
On the day Newport had eleven hits as a team, highlighted by Hudson Haskin’s three-RBI double in the fifth and Cavaliere’s solo shot.
The Gulls will be back at Cardines on Monday, July 22nd to take on the Ocean State Waves in the final game of the Pell Bridge Series for the 2019 regular season. Monday night at Cardines will be Salve Regina University Night where the first 500 fans will receive free Newport Gulls team posters. First pitch is set for 6:35 pm.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport String Project Season Opening Concert
- This day in Newport History: September 19, 1902 – Jimmy Van Alen born in Newport
- Concert Recap and Photos: Felix Cavaliere’s Rascals at the Greenwich Odeum (September 18, 2021)
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour