The Newport Marriott is set to host an annual fundraiser for its long-standing support of non-profit Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. Locals and guests alike are invited to partake in the Root Beer Float Day fundraiser on Saturday, August 10 in Newport Marriott’s lobby Plank Bar.
Newport Marriott associates will offer root beer floats to the public in exchange for a donation to the local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital, Hasbro Children’s Hospital. From 11am to 3pm, the lobby Plank Bar staff will be whipping up root beer floats for a suggested donation of $2 per drink.
During the week of August 5, participating Marriott International hotels throughout the United States and Canada will host root beer float fundraising activities with the proceeds going directly to local Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. Root Beer Float Day is a nod to Marriott’s beginnings when company founder, Bill Marriott, Sr., and his wife Alice opened two root beer stands in Washington, D.C., in the 1920s.
“We wouldn’t be the organization we are today without the support of Marriott as our longest-standing corporate partner,” said John Lauck, president and CEO, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals in a prepared statement. “Marriott associates and guests are among the most passionate fundraisers we have.”
In 2018, Newport Marriott fundraising initiatives raised over $15,500 for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. The company fundraises through a variety of events and activities throughout the year. For more information, visit Marriott’s Community Engagement webpage.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport