Friday, June 14th, the first day of the 2019 Secret Garden Tours, will feature some very special guests this year. Sixth graders from Newport’s Thompson Middle School who are currently reading Frances Hodgson Burnett’s The Secret Garden will tour a selection of the gardens on Friday, June 14th from noon until 2:15 PM.
The self-guided walking tours of private gardens located in historic Newport, Rhode Island will take place June 14-16th. Take a late Spring tour of some unique, delightful and personal gardens, two of which are featured in June’s “Fine Gardening” magazine. The annual Secret Garden Tour opens the gates to a variety of beautiful gardens maintained by their owners. These genuine labors of love are shared with the community to help raise funds for the Arts Education programs in the Island’s public schools. Starting at Storer Park near the causeway to Goat Island, the tour features over a dozen private gardens including some that are new this year hidden in Newport’s historic Point District.
The tours run daily from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. and tickets are good for any or all days of the tour, allowing for inclement weather, schedule conflicts, or just a late start. In Spring 2014, Conde Nast Traveler Magazine named Newport, Rhode Island “one of the best walking cities in the U.S.” and specifically mentioned the June Secret Garden Tour through the city’s historic Point section as one of the highlights.
Friday and Saturday, St John’s will have box lunches for sale. Throughout the weekend, St. John’s organist, Peter Berton, will be performing “Quarter To” organ recitals and there will be an Art on the Lawn artisan fair featuring Candace Sherman, Nancy Richardson and Charisma Prentis. The Thompson and Pell student guitar group, recent grant recipients, will perform on Saturday at noon on the church grounds.
Tickets are now available for the 2019 Spring Tour and can be purchased in advance online at www.secretgardentours.org for a discounted rate of $20. Group rates are also available for five or more persons. Check the website for more details.
Since 1984, the organizers and supporters of The Secret Garden Tour have been dedicated to enhancing art education and cultural programs in Aquidneck Island’s Public Schools, funding dozens of programs in music, theater and fine arts for local schoolchildren. To date, The Secret Garden Tour has given more than $1 million to Aquidneck Island students in public schools for art, music, theater and other cultural programming. For additional information, be sure to visit the website.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now