The Newport Public Education Foundation has announced the 2019 recipients of its annual Noreen Stonor Drexel Education Awards, which recognize individuals and organizations that significantly contribute to the students of Newport’s public schools.
This year’s recipients are:
- Friend of Education: Louise White
- Partner in Education: Boys & Girls Club of Newport County
- Unsung Hero in Education: Pauline Perkins Moye
The awards will be presented during Evening for Education, the foundation’s annual grants showcase and fundraiser. The benefit event will be held from 6-8:30 p.m. Friday, June 7 at the Edward King House, located at 35 King St. in Newport. Tickets are $45/individual and $80/couple and include beer, wine and hors d’oeuvres prepared by students in the Newport Area Career and Technical Center’s culinary arts academy. Tickets may be purchased online at bit.ly/E4E-2019.
UPDATE: Due to the construction at the Edward King House, the Newport Public Education Foundation’s Evening for Education scheduled for Friday, June 7 has been moved to Salve Regina University’s Young Building.
“This year’s award recipients represent what is great about our public schools and our community,” said Mary Ellen Atkins, president of the foundation. “It is always amazing when our community members and organizations step up to the challenge of providing additional non-traditional learning experiences for our students.”
Evening for Education will also celebrate the 2019-2010 Newport Public Schools teacher of the year: Steven Kalble, director of culinary arts at the Newport Area Career and Technical Center.
Evening for Education supports the Newport Public Education Foundation’s enrichment and community grants, which provide educational experiences that directly and positively impact the students of Newport’s public schools. During the 2018-2019 academic year, NPEF awarded more than $22,000 in grants to classroom teachers and community partners.
For more info on Newport Public Education Foundation, visit www.npef-ri.org.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso