The Newport Art Museum will welcome the talented Portsmouth Abbey Chamber Music students as they perform works for their Spring Recital this Thursday, May 2 from 6 – 7:30 pm. Newport Art Museum will celebrate its extended seasonal hours, where from April – December the Museum remains open to the public until 7pm on Thursdays, with this special Music in the Galleries concert. The performance marks the third year that the Museum has hosted this exceptional group for their culminating end of year performance. Led by Instrumental Music Director Joseph Bentley, these talented students will share musical works and instruments from all over the world.
The recital will include works by Felix Mendelssohn, Gabriel Faure, Max Bruch, and G.F. Handel alongside traditional Chinese folk songs, Jimi Hendrix, and Stevie Ray Vaughan, to name a few. In addition, they will premiere their first-ever collective composition, entitled Fragments. Taking influence from composer Terry Riley’s vanguard minimalist work In C, Fragments uses non-traditional timbres and techniques to create a “rhythm machine,” that grows and evolves from the absurd to the concrete with the mix of 33 unique rhythmic fragments.
Celebrate spring with an eclectic night of jazz, rock, world music, experimental and classical works, while enjoying the Museum’s new exhibitions.
Thursday, May 2
6pm – 7:30pm Portsmouth Abbey Spring Recital at the Newport Art Museum
Admission to this Music in the Galleries concert is free with Museum admission.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13