Aquidneck Land Trust (“ALT”) will offer a new series of courses about bird biology, taught by Dr. Charles Clarkson, ALT board member and professional ornithologist. The six-part series is open to all, regardless of the participant’s level of bird knowledge. Dr. Clarkson will focus on bird migration, intelligence, flight and feathers, and how birds survive harsh environments.
Classes will take place at the Greenvale Vineyards tasting room, 582 Wapping Road, in Portsmouth. They will be held on April 16 and 23, and May 7 and 14, from 6:00–7:30 p.m. There will be two Saturday field trips on April 27 and May 11, from 8:00 – 11:00 a.m. The field trips will focus on the birds that pass through Rhode Island on migration. The cost is $125 for ALT members and $150 for non-members; check the ALT website or call 401-849-2799, ext. 10, for registration.
Dr. Clarkson received his doctorate from the University of Virginia, where his primary focus was on the impact of mercury on the growth and development of nesting waterbirds. He moved to Rhode Island in 2011 and has taught at Salve Regina and Roger Williams Universities. In 2015, Charles was employed as the coordinator for the Rhode Island Bird Atlas, a five-year, statewide project aimed at documenting the distribution and abundance of the state’s birds. In addition to coordinating the project, Charles serves as a board member for the Audubon Society of Rhode Island and ALT, and as the co-chair of the Conservation Committee for the International Waterbird Society.
For more information, www.ailt.org.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library
- Governor, RIDOH, Newport City officials, community partners to host canvassing effort on Wednesday to encourage vaccination