As What’sUpNewp first reported in January, Operation Stand Down’s (OSDRI) Boots On The Ground for Heroes Memorial is moving from Roger Williams Park to Fort Adams State Park in 2019.
Organizers gathered at Fort Adams earlier today to officially make the announcement that the Boots on the Ground for Heroes Memorial will relocate from Roger Williams Park to Fort Adams State Park this Memorial Day weekend. OSDRI also announced plans for the Gold Star Gala to be held at Fort Adams on May 24th at 6:30 p.m.
The 29 Boots set up at the press conference represent the Rhode Island fallen will be set up during the announcement.
Operation Stand Down RI launched the Boots on the Ground for Heroes Memorial in 2015. The memorial presents almost 7,000 boots adorned with flags and name placards representing the lives of the of the U.S. service members killed in action post 9-11 in the Global War on Terror. For the past three years the memorial has been held at Roger Williams Park in Providence.
For more information, visit www.osdri.org.
The Latest From WUN
- Tony® Award-Winning Musical “Million Dollar Quartet” coming to Boston’s Boch Center October 29th + 30th
- Gerry Goldstein: For Mercy’s sake, he stood guard through the night
- City of Newport: A portion of the Cliff Walk will be closed on Monday for maintenance
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million