The following is a press release written by Newport Jazz Festival;
Christian McBride, Artistic Director of the Newport Jazz Festival® presented by Natixis Investment Managers, today announced the Second Wave of artists. With more than half of these groups making their NJF debut as headliners, the 2019 festival takes place August 2-4 at Fort Adams State Park and the International Tennis Hall of Fame at the Newport Casino.
The Second Wave of artists features Kamasi Washington; Thundercat; Dianne Reeves with Peter Martin, Romero Lubambo, Reginald Veal & Terreon Gully; The Ron Carter Trio; Dee Dee Bridgewater and the Memphis Soulphony; PJ Morton;Ghost-Note; Darcy James Argue’s Secret Society; Billy Hart Quartet w/Ethan Iverson, Mark Turner & Ben Street; Aaron Diehl; Hailu Mergia; IN COMMON: Walter Smith III, Matt Stevens, Joel Ross, Harish Raghavan & Kendrick Scott;Camila Meza & The Nectar Orchestra; DOMi & JD Beck; TheDayna Stephens Group; Mwenso & the Shakes; Tom Oren; and Mark Stryker: “Jazz from Detroit.”
“Since its inception 65 years ago, the Newport Jazz Festival has been the place for fans to see, hear and learn about new artists, as well as enjoy some of the leading bands on the music scene,” said McBride. “We’re pleased to continue the tradition of telling the story of jazz through these fabulous new and established artists, all on one great weekend.
“Making her festival debut at Fort Adams is one of my favorite people in the whole world, the legendary Dee Dee Bridgewater. Her latest project “Memphis,” is sure to stir your soul. As a bass player, I stand on Ron Carter’s shoulders. In fact, every jazz bassist since Ron Carter stands on his mighty shoulders. It is our honor to welcome him back to Newport. Okay, okay, so it’s a little bass heavy this year. That’s not really a problem, is it? In addition to Ron, we have Thundercat and MonoNeon with Ghost-Note, and believe me, that’s just the tip of the ‘bass mountain,’” said McBride, with a wink and a smile.
Showcasing more than 60 individual Jazz ensembles, the Newport Jazz Festival presented by Natixis Investment Managers will offer music on four stages, including the Fort, Quad, Harbor stages and Storyville, the intimate venue located in the Newport Festivals Museum.
To date, the 2019 Newport Jazz Festival Presented by Natixis Investment Managers features:
Friday, August 2, 2019 – Fort Adams State Park
· Herbie Hancock· Thundercat· Corinne Bailey Rae· The Bad Plus· Sun Ra Arkestra directed by Marshall Allen· Spanish Harlem Orchestra· Darcy James Argue’s Secret Society· Billy Hart Quartet w/Ethan Iverson, Mark Turner & Ben Street· Tia Fuller’s “Diamond Cut”· DOMi & JD Beck· The Dayna Stephens Group· Mwenso & the Shakes· Tom Oren· Mark Stryker: “Jazz from Detroit”
Saturday, August 3, 2019 – Fort Adams State Park
· Kamasi Washington· Dianne Reeves with Peter Martin, Romero Lubambo, Reginald Veal & Terreon Gully· Dee Dee Bridgewater and The Memphis Soulphony`· Buika· The Ron Carter Trio· Makaya McCraven· Ravi Coltrane/David Virelles· Ghost-Note· Jenny Scheinman & Allison Miller’s Parlour Game· Joel Ross ‘Good Vibes’· Hailu Mergia· Laurin Talese
Sunday, August 4, 2019 – Fort Adams State Park
· Terence Blanchard featuring The E-Collective· PJ Morton· Sons of Kemet· Cécile McLorin Salvant· ELEW· Marcus Strickland Twi-Life featuring Smithsoneon· Christian Sands – 3 Piano Erroll Garner Tribute! featuring Helen Sung & Tadataka Unno· Dafnis Prieto Big Band· Aaron Diehl· IN COMMON: Walter Smith III, Matt Stevens, Joel Ross, Harish Raghavan & Kendrick Scott· Camila Meza & The Nectar Orchestra· Sammy Miller & The Congregation
*Artists Subject to Change
Stay tuned for the announcement of the Third Wave of artists in the coming weeks.
Natixis Investment Managers, the Presenting Sponsor of the 2019 Newport Jazz Festival, sponsors programs that help enrich the lives of individuals and preserve the cultural experience for future generations through music. In addition to Natixis Investment Managers, the Newport Jazz Festival also receives generous support from Doris Duke Charitable Foundation and Eventbrite. WBGO, Newport Jazz Festival’s official travel partner, returns to the 2019 Festival with day trip packages from New York, Boston and Newark, plus a weekend package, which includes a four-night stay at Gurney’s Newport Resort & Marina. For information and to purchase bus packages, log on to https://bit.ly/2HWPJnC.
All Newport Jazz Festival single-day and multi-day tickets for concerts at Fort Adams are on sale now at www.newportjazz.org. Service charges apply to all tickets purchased on-line or by phone.
General Admission tickets (no chairs provided) will be $69.00 in advance for the Friday, August 2, daytime event at Fort Adams and $79.00 per day for Saturday and Sunday. These tickets will be $79.00 for Friday and $89.00 for Saturday and Sunday at the gate, if available. Two-day passes (for Saturday and Sunday are $145.00. Three-Day passes for Friday – Sunday events at Fort Adams are $170.00. Reserved Seating, priced at $125.00, is available for all three days at Fort Adams. Tickets for The Jazz Club, a premium experience offered at the Fort all three days, is $375.00 per day.
Advance parking passes ($15.00) also are available at the Festival website. Parking will be $20.00 at the gate. A limited number of Student tickets are $20.00 per day for high school students older than 15 and college students with valid ID. Students must use the Student gate and present valid ID to enter the festival. Offer valid for eligible students while supplies last. Tickets for children ages 3-15 are $15.00.
General Admission tickets for all Fort Adams events are available in person at the Newport Visitors Information Center, located at 23 Americas Cup Avenue. Log on to www.discovernewport.org for office hours and information. Local discounts offered. No service charges apply.
For information regarding pre-sales and special offers, subscribe to the newsletter on the Festival website or follow the event on social media.
For more information, visit www.newportjazz.org.
The Latest From WUN
- Grammy-Nominated Artist Leigh Nash playing Club Passim Tuesday, November 2
- Hocus Pocus 2 begins filming in Rhode Island
- Kerri Powers and Stefan Couture playing Blackstone River Theatre October 30th
- “Creatures of Imagination” exhibition opens Oct. 21 at Salve Regina’s Hamilton Gallery
- What Sold: 24 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (Oct. 11 – 15)