A late-summer sailing tradition loved by grand prix racers and cruising sailors alike, the annual Ida Lewis Distance Race is scheduled to start on Friday, August 16, 2019.
Classes for IRC, PHRF, One Design, Multihull and Double-Handed boats of 28 feet or longer sail between 104 and 177 nm depending on what the Race Committee thinks best suits the conditions.
The start and finish of the race are off Newport’s historic Ida Lewis Yacht Club, which sits famously on a rock in Newport Harbor, and includes turning marks at Castle Hill, Brenton Reef, Block Island, Montauk Point, Martha’s Vineyard and Buzzards Tower. The race also Includes Youth and Collegiate Challenge categories.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)