The following obituary originally appeared on Memorial Funeral Home, it has been republished with permission.
Mary A. Ford, 96, formerly of Boughton Road Newport, passed away peacefully Thursday, January 3, 2019 at St. Clare-Newport. She was the wife of the late Reginald H. Ford.
Born in Fall River, MA, she was the daughter of the late Francisco and Georgianna (Da Costa) Mello.
She is survived by her children Ronald J. Ford and his Fiancée Sally Swistak of Newport, her daughters Kathleen Evans and her fiancé Bobby Gough of New Castle, DE and Brenda McCullock and her husband Steve of Chesapeake, VA. She also leaves her sister Julia Morgan and her husband Ralph of Newport and her brother John Mello and his wife Maria of Middletown. Mrs. Ford was the mother-in-law of Mary Ford and Kimberly Ford as well as twelve grandchildren and twenty great-grandchildren along with many nieces and nephews.
She was the mother of the late Reginald H. “Reggie” Ford Jr., Stephen P. Ford and Paula A. Ford.
Mrs. Ford was predeceased by her brothers Frank, Joseph, William, Alfred and Frank Jr. and her sisters Delinda Ashook, Irene Blechinger
Mrs. Ford was a lifelong communicant of Jesus Saviour Church and a member of the Jesus Saviour Rosary Sodality and an active member of many parish events. She and her husband hosted the Holy Ghost Dominga several times over the years. She was also an avid BINGO player and was known to play as many as twenty-four cards at a time. She loved to cook and one of the family favorites was her famous rice pudding.
Calling hours will be held on Tuesday, January 8, 2019, from 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM, in the Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport.
Her funeral will be held Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:30 AM from the Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at 9:30 AM in Jesus Saviour Church, 509 Broadway, Newport. Burial will follow at St. Columba Cemetery, 465 Brown’s Lane, Middletown.
Donations in her memory may be made to the James L. Maher Center, PO Box 4390, Middletown, RI 02842, ATTN:Development.
See the full obituary – https://www.memorialfuneralhome.com/notices/Mary-Ford
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million