Lillian Combra Lopes, 76, of Portsmouth, RI passed away January 18, 2019, at home surrounded by her loving family.
Born February 17, 1942, in Fall River, MA Lillian was a lifelong resident of Portsmouth. She was the daughter of the late Joseph E. and Gilda M. Combra. Lillian was married to her husband Joseph C. Lopes for 53 years.
Lillian graduated from St. Catherine’s Academy, Newport, RI, in 1960, received her bachelors degree from Salve Regina Newport RI, in 1964 and Master’s Degree in Education from Salve Regina University in 1976. She was a teacher in the Portsmouth School System for 35 years; the majority of which was spent at Portsmouth Middle School as a Reading Specialist. Lillian retired from teaching in 1999. In her spare time she was a member of the Newport Yacht Club, the Newport Power and Sail Squadron, the Redwood Library, and a past president of the Quilters By The Sea. Lillian enjoyed quilting, sewing, reading, cooking, music, skiing and sailing with Joe on their boat “Flexible”. However Lillian’s greatest joy was spending time with friends and family especially her grandchildren and nephews.
Besides her husband Joseph, Lillian is survived by her daughter, Mary Jane Hladick and her husband Dean of Portsmouth, RI, her son, Joseph C. Lopes II and his wife Jennifer (Bulk) of Middletown, RI, her brothers, Russell E. Combra of Portsmouth, RI, and Norman J. Combra (Elsie) of Tiverton, her grandchildren, Connor J. Hladick, Emma J. Hladick, Joseph C. Lopes III, and Jonathan R. Lopes, and nephews Norman J. Combra, Andrew J. Combra, and Brian J. Combra. Lillian was dearly loved and will be greatly missed.
Lillian’s family would like to thank the staff at St. Clare Adult Day Health Program, Visiting Nurse Home & Hospice and all of the home health care givers for the wonderful care given to Lillian.
A memorial service in Lillian’s memory will be announced at a later date. Donations in her memory may be made to the Three Angels Fund, P.O. Box 4003, Middletown, RI 02842 or Visiting Nurse Home & Hospice 1184 East Main Road Portsmouth, RI 02871.
See the full obituary from Memorial Funeral Home, here – https://www.memorialfuneralhome.com/notices/Lillian-Lopes
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals