Jeannine Louise (Cohen) Sawyer passed away peacefully in Bridgeport, Connecticut on Saturday, January 26, 2019.
Jeannine was born October 5, 1927 in Oran (French) Algeria to the late Julie and Felix Cohen. She was preceded in death by her former husband and father to her children, Stanley S. Sawyer.
Jeannine is survived by her daughter, Michelle (Sawyer) Avenia, of Stratford, Connecticut and her son, Paul Sawyer of Phoenix, Arizona, and her granddaughters, Arielle & Rebecca Avenia. Jeannine’s sisters and brother, Sarah Chilabato, Yvette Darmon and Gerald Cohen also survive her.
Jeannine graduated from the conservatory of Music, Oran Algeria in 1952 where she sang and studied Opera. She arrived in Newport, RI in 1956 and became a citizen of the United States in 1963. She was a long time member and choir participant of Temple Shalom in Middletown, RI. Jeannine was a talented seamstress at the Navy Base in Newport until she retired. After retirement, she moved to Deerfield Beach Florida, where she enjoyed singing in choirs, traveling, spending time with family and being a member of Bnai Torah Congregation, Boca Raton Florida until she moved in her final years to Connecticut. She will always be remembered for her laugh and “Joie de Vivre.” She will be greatly missed by her loving family.
Jeannine’s funeral will be held Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at the Hoffman Jewish Memorial Chapel, 11 Fowler Avenue, Newport at 12:00 pm. Burial will follow at Beth Olam Cemetery, 181 Wyatt Road, Middletown.
Funeral arrangements are by the Chevra Kadisha Association of Newport County. For more information and online condolences, please visit www.oneillhayes.com.
See the full obituary – https://oneillhayes.com/tribute/details/1255/Jeannine-Sawyer/obituary.html#tribute-start
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13