This obituary originally appeared on Memorial Funeral Home, it has been republished with permission.
Mr. George Silvia, age 98, of Portsmouth, passed away on January 2, 2019, at the Grand Islander Nursing Center in Middletown.
George was born on September 23, 1920, in Middletown, RI, to the late John Silvia and the late Mary (Freitas) Silvia. He was the husband of the late Mary Margaret (Mello) Silvia.
Prior to serving in the US Coast Guard during WWII, he worked on his parents’ farm. After his honorable discharge from the military he went on to become a Master Plumber starting his own business. Before starting his own business he worked in construction during the day and worked on building his first house by himself after his work day. A hard working, self taught man who was held in high esteem by every life he touched. Honesty, and integrity were woven in every facet of his life. George would be the first one to offer to help anyone; giving was natural to him. His family was his life.
George worked as a plumber for most of his life. He was a founding member and President of the Viking Riders, a member of the Inbetween Camping Club, and obtained his recreational pilot’s license. He owned two small planes, one of which he reconstructed himself and was the only one left from the seven that were made in the USA.
Growing up on a farm, his love of animals remained through his life. Animals intuitively befriended him.
Simply put, he was a very special human being and remarkable man.
George is survived by his three children, Carol A. Silvia of Portsmouth, George E. Silvia, Jr. of Middletown, and Richard A. Silvia of East Longmeadow, MA, his two grandchildren, George E. Silvia, III, and Stacy L. Silvia and his two great grandchildren, Jaxsin B. Silvia and Alexis A. Silvia.
Besides his wife and parents, he was preceded in death by his siblings, Laura Ryan, Mary Silvia, John Silvia, Joseph Silvia, and Anthony Silvia.
Calling hours will be held on Monday, January 7, 2019, from 4:00-7:00pm, in the Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport.
His funeral will be held on Tuesday, January 8th, 2019, at 9:30am, from the funeral home, followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at 10:30am, in St. Lucy’s Catholic Church, 909 West Main Road, Middletown. Burial will follow at St. Columba Cemetery, Brown’s Lane, Middletown.
See the full obituary – https://www.memorialfuneralhome.com/notices/George-Edward-Silvia
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools