Calling runners, walkers and New Years Resolution makers! The inaugural Aquidneck 10K will start at 10 AM on March 24th. The 6.2-mile course will start and finish at Sachuest Beach. Participants will run or walk alongside beach grass and sand dunes, down Sachuest Point, pass the Norman Bird Sanctuary on Hanging Rock Road, as well as stunning homes and historic churches, showcasing the beauty of Aquidneck Island. A portion of each registration fee for this event will be donated to the Norman Bird Sanctuary in support of their conservational and environmental efforts. The event is produced by Gray Matter Marketing, which produces other local award-winning events including the Ocean Road 10K, Amica Newport Marathon and the Craft Brew Races 5K.
“As a treasured community organization celebrating 70 years in 2019, Norman Bird Sanctuary is proud to team up with Gray Matter Marketing and the Aquidneck 10K,” says Leslie Muir, Director of Special Events at the Norman Bird Sanctuary. “We are thankful for the support that enables NBS to engage people of all ages as they discover the natural world around them, conserve over 325 acres of diverse landscapes, and restore habitats for the birds and animals that thrive here.”
“We’re looking forward to bringing another excellent event to Aquidneck Island,” says Matt Gray, President of Gray Matter Marketing in a prepared statement. “This particular course shows off so many of the beautiful natural features of the island and supports a special place for me, the Norman Bird Sanctuary.”
The Aquidneck 10K is open to runners and walkers of all abilities. All registrants will receive a race bib with a chip timer, as well as an event shirt. Athlete food will be available at the finish, and on-course water stops and aid stations will be available.
“There’s a bit of a shortage of great 10K races in Rhode Island in the Spring, so we’re excited to create an excellent race experience in March,” says Lisa McCurdy, Director of Communications at Gray Matter Marketing in a prepared statement. “It’s a great goal distance for the start of the year, as well as an excellent benchmark distance for those running longer distances later in the season.”
Registration will open on January 23rd. For more information visit aquidneck10k.com.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million
- Frank Prosnitz: My Jazz Festival’s Top Picks