Happy Giving Tuesday!
This is an important day for the Newport Jazz and Folk Festivals and the Newport Festivals Foundation, because we are sharing our vision for 2019 and beyond with you, our Foundation family.
For more than six decades, our events defined the modern day festival paradigm, which is so prevalent today. Yet, we feel that our own understanding of what it means to be a festival needs to be reexamined. Are we empowering artists? Are we supporting the next generation of musicians? Are we inspiring our fans? In short, can we be doing more?
While we’ve laid the groundwork as a non-profit in recent years, it has become clear that the increasing burden to sustain music education in America is falling squarely on communities like ours.
Therefore, on top of all the local work we are doing in Rhode Island, we are making a commitment to partner with festival artists to donate to a music education cause of their choosing.
Yes, it’s going to be a challenge, but together we’re confident we can make a difference, because that’s what families do for each other. This Giving Tuesday, please consider supporting our efforts by attending the Festivals and/or making a donation to our foundation.
To learn more about your support in action, visit newportfestivals.org
Jay Sweet, Executive Producer
The Latest From WUN
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network
- Stop & Shop to hold a one-day career fair at all 27 Rhode Island locations
- RI Music Educators call on state, school districts to fund music & arts education
- Wilbury Theatre Group launches Pay-What-You-Can ticket structure for all performances