World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD), which is organized by the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP), is celebrated annually on September 10th. The purpose of this day is to raise awareness around the globe that suicide can be prevented.
Today on What’sUpNewp Radio Edition on AM 1540 WADK Newport, we spent the majority of the show on the topic of suicide prevention and mental health. Jamie Lehane, President and CEO of Newport Mental Health, joined us from about 1:20 pm to 1:45 pm to discuss the issue and what’s being done and offered locally for those in need of assistance with mental illness, substance abuse or stress in their lives.
After the conversation with Jamie, I shared the news from Salve Regina University where Christophe Sauerwein, academic director for The International Conference on Addiction and Associated Disorders (iCAAD), and Dr. Philippe Wuyts, a psychiatrist with expertise in anxiety, depression, and burnout, will be presenting back-to-back lectures on these critical health topics when they visit Salve Regina University on the evening of September 12th.
What’sUpNewp Radio Edition
Tune into What’sUpNewp Radio Edition with Ryan Belmore every weekday at 1 pm on AM 1540 WADK. It’s where to get the scoop on what’s happening, new and to do in Newport County and across Rhode Island. Special guests, interviews, entertainment, commentary and more make this a can’t-miss hour of live and local radio.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)
- 4th Annual Cardines Classic featuring Army versus Navy rescheduled to October 1