World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD), which is organized by the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP), is celebrated annually on September 10th. The purpose of this day is to raise awareness around the globe that suicide can be prevented.
Today on What’sUpNewp Radio Edition on AM 1540 WADK Newport, we spent the majority of the show on the topic of suicide prevention and mental health. Jamie Lehane, President and CEO of Newport Mental Health, joined us from about 1:20 pm to 1:45 pm to discuss the issue and what’s being done and offered locally for those in need of assistance with mental illness, substance abuse or stress in their lives.
After the conversation with Jamie, I shared the news from Salve Regina University where Christophe Sauerwein, academic director for The International Conference on Addiction and Associated Disorders (iCAAD), and Dr. Philippe Wuyts, a psychiatrist with expertise in anxiety, depression, and burnout, will be presenting back-to-back lectures on these critical health topics when they visit Salve Regina University on the evening of September 12th.
What’sUpNewp Radio Edition
Tune into What’sUpNewp Radio Edition with Ryan Belmore every weekday at 1 pm on AM 1540 WADK. It’s where to get the scoop on what’s happening, new and to do in Newport County and across Rhode Island. Special guests, interviews, entertainment, commentary and more make this a can’t-miss hour of live and local radio.
More From What’s Up Newp
- Aquidneck Land Trust awards 13 grants to local community, neighborhood groups through Merritt Neighborhood Fund
- Newport Polo’s 20th annual charity gala will benefit Jeffrey Osborne Foundation
- Preservation Society of Newport County receives prestigious award from Garden Club of America
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: May 14 – 16
- Beavertail Lighthouse, Watch Hill Lighthouse are being given away for free