A quick glance of “Six Picks” this week shows the range of music around Rhode Island you can enjoy this weekend. We’ve got everything from Punk to Reggae, and a whole lot in between. Read on for some of the best music anywhere!
Yo La Tengo at Columbus Theatre Tuesday (Providence)
Critically acclaimed Yo La Tengo, one of the most celebrated indie bands of all time, returns to the Columbus Theatre Tuesday night. The band, formed in 1984, recently released their 15th studio album, There’s a Riot Going On. A few tickets remain – Complete details here.
Reggae Festival at Bold Point Sunday (East Providence)
The annual Reggae Festival at Bold Point in East Providence is this Sunday, September 9th. Headliner Ziggy Marley and his band return to RI along with Steel Pulse, Tribal Seeds, Iya Terra, Mighty Mystic and the Gorilla Finger Dub Band. Music starts around 3:30 PM – Don’t miss the good vibes. Details here.
Local Show of the Week: Punk for Pets at News Café Sunday (Pawtucket)
A bunch of local and national punk bands kick off a fundraiser to benefit local pet shelters Sunday at the News Café in Pawtucket. Mobina Galore, Lucky United, Ghost GRL, Twin Brook (ex Make America Skate Again) and Anxious Wave will shake things up for sure. Music starts around 5PM – bring $10 (suggested donation) and pet food/supplies if possible. Complete details here.
Narrows Festival of the Arts Sunday (Fall River)
The streets will be rockin’ in Fall River Sunday as the annual Narrows Center Festival of the Arts. The free festival features two stages of local and national bands including Matthew Stubbs and the Antiguas, Neal and the Vipers, and The Iguanas. Click here for complete details.
Slim Cesna at Alchemy Sunday (Providence)
There’s a cool show Sunday at Alchemy in Providence with a couple of exceptional bands headlining. Slim Cessna’s Auto Club, Kid Congo Powers & Pink Monkey Birds, and Heavy Connection are bands that bring unique stylings to the stage. Check out the video to see what we mean and click here for show details.
The Teledynes at Newport Vineyards Saturday (Middletown)
Catch the rockabilly/surf sounds of The Teledynes all weekend long – first at Pour Judgement Friday, then Saturday afternoon at the Vineyard Vibes series and Sunday they play the Narrows Festival (above). Bet you never knew that wine tasting and rockabilly go great together. Details here.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)