Season 27 will conclude with the ultimate showdown, a Battle of the Sexes, when the Newport women take on the Newport men on September 29th, 2018 at 4 pm in the Finals of the NBC10 Newport International Polo Series, Presented by BMW.
“We’ve had great polo all season, and a highlight has been to witness women’s polo come of age in Newport,” explained Dan Keating, captain, and founder of the Polo Series. “Our Women’s East Coast Open demonstrated that women players can be every bit as talented and competitive as their male counterparts, and a showdown is inevitable.”
The last exhibition match of the year, the Finals will present a timeless rivalry between men and women in a 6-chukker Autumn match. “This is only the second time in our history that we’ve lined up a Battle of the Sexes, and it could now become the players’ most-awaited annual contest.”
In 1993, the Newport International Polo Series staged its original Battle of the Sexes in a fundraising campaign for endangered species, with celebrity polo players including an all-women’s team from California led by actress Stephanie Powers, and Ron Ferguson among male notables. The large crowd on hand also witnessed the famous Cheetah Run across the polo field.
After 6 periods, called chukkers, the match will conclude with the Veuve Clicquot Champagne Toast & Trophy Presentation, and autograph signing with the players.
Tickets to the match ($15 for General Admission and $25 for Pavilion seating) are available online at www.nptpolo.com.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools