To the Editor:
When Lauren Carson first ran for State Representative in District 75 back in 2014 none of us realized she was one of the first of the women who would change politics for us all. In 2018, looking forward to her third term, Lauren is part of a crowd of women running for office at the national and local level, winning in the primaries and with the potential to increase the percentage of women in elected office to a historic high.
Lauren provides a model for those who will join her to serve their communities at the local and national level. One of the hardest workers I know, she listens and hears her constituents and acts on what they say. She faithfully attends dozens of meetings and gatherings where she can interact with people who want to speak and be heard by the people they elect. And she regularly invites the public to meetings of her own. The collegiality between Lauren and our Senator, Dawn Euer, gives Newport a more powerful voice in Providence. After her election in 2014 Lauren quickly established herself as a leader in the RI Assembly, “putting Newport first.”
Too many incumbent candidates in Rhode Island are running unopposed this year. But I like to think of Lauren’s uncontested campaign as the reward for a job well done. When you vote on November 6th, vote for Lauren Carson.
Treasurer, Friends of Lauren Carson
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- RI Hospitality Association’s 18th Annual Economic Outlook Breakfast predicts continued recovery in 2022
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck