Middletown, RI- Clean Ocean Access (COA) hosted a beach cleanup on Saturday, September 24th at Pheasant Drive Beach in Portsmouth. 78 volunteers, including volunteers from the Portsmouth High School Soccer Team and local Portsmouth residents, worked together on this sunny afternoon to remove over 200 pounds of debris from the shoreline including a fishing pole, 85 plastic bottles, 153 glass bottles, 232 caps and lids, 97 straws, 248 cigarette butts and more.
This is the 20th cleanup Clean Ocean Access has hosted at Pheasant Drive Beach since 2014. They would like to thank Peoples Credit Union for sponsoring our cleanups, making it possible for volunteers to give back to their community. COA is excited to continue expanding stewardship efforts in Portsmouth. COA is hosting a beach cleanup on Saturday, October 6th at Second Beach in Middletown, RI. No registration needed! Empire Tea and Coffee will provide free coffee so don’t forget your reusable mug!
“It was a great experience to help the community and a great opportunity to bond as a team. We enjoyed being able to make a difference and save the wildlife!” – said the members of the Portsmouth High School Girls Soccer Team following the beach cleanup at Pheasant Drive.
Photo – Members from the Portsmouth High School Girls Soccer team pose with the impressive amount of debris they helped remove from the coastline. Photo provided by Clean Ocean Access
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)