With only a few summer weekends to go, now is the time to get out and enjoy some live music. We’ve got your “Six Picks” here, including a popular festival in Providence and more.
Providence Folk Festival Sunday (PVD)
What would Roger Williams think? The 5th annual Providence Folk Festival is back at the Roger Williams National Memorial downtown (not the zoo) Sunday with an impressive line-up of local and national artists. Check out over a dozen acts including Michelle Cruz, Dan Blakeslee, Cardboard Ox, Jaime Michaels and headliner, John Hall, who we interviewed here last week. Best of all, it’s free to attend, with donations accepted here to support the ongoing efforts. Details here. (Logo illustration above: JoAnna Lapati)
Iris Dement Friday at Narrows Center (Fall River)
Speaking of great folks, Iris Dement is one of the best. The singer-songwriter has a voice for the ages as evidenced on numerous tunes including “Sweet is the Melody,” “Mom and Dad’s Waltz,” and her classic duet with John Prine, “In Spite of Ourselves.” Catch her Friday at the Narrows Center – details here.
Jonathan Edwards at Narragansett Community Center Saturday (Narragansett)
Another great folkie is Jonathan Edwards, appearing at the Narragansett Community Center Saturday. Edwards is of course known for his 70’s hits “Sunshine,” and “Shanty,” but his catalog goes deeper, with 17 albums to his credit including his most recent, Tomorrow’s Child. Check him out in an intimate setting in Narragansett Saturday night. Details here.
Local Show of the Week: An All-Star Acoustic Showcase Saturday at Nick-a-Nees (PVD)
Speaking of free and local, Nick-a-Nees has music several nights a week and this Friday is no different. The “All-Star Acoustic Showcase” will feature singer-songwriters Amanda Salemi, Jenn Lombardi, Nate Cozzolino and Drew Christensen. Details here.
Northeast Traffic at AS220 Saturday (PVD)
It’s a soul, funk and rock show featuring four RI area bands at AS220 Saturday night. Expand your appreciation for rock and roll … Don’t miss Northeast Traffic, Bochek, Jetty, and Ben Shaw at AS220. Details here.
BONUS VIDEO: More Iris and John Prine
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13