The Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH) announced on Wednesday afternoon that they recommend reopening Third Beach in Middletown for swimming based on results from water samples that show bacteria levels within acceptable limits. Third Beach has been closed since August 10th.
RIDOH also recommends closing Sandy Point Beach in Portsmouth, Conimicut Point Beach in Warwick, and Bristol Town Beach for swimming because of high bacteria levels. (Editor’s Note – This story has been updated to include that Conimicut Point Beach is in Warwick, not Portsmouth).
RIDOH will continue to monitor and review beach water quality regularly to ensure safe bathing throughout the summer season. The status of a beach may change on a daily basis. The most up-to-date beach information is available through a recorded message on RIDOH’s beaches telephone line (401-222-2751).
The Latest From WUN
- Potter League to host 32nd Annual Heart & Sole Walk for Animals at Fort Adams
- The Beach Boys To play Mohegan Sun Arena on New Year’s Eve
- FirstWorks to present “Women Trailblazers in Music” in November
- Now Hiring: 77 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- National Sailing Hall Of Fame inducts Class of 2021