The Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH) announced on Wednesday afternoon that they recommend reopening Third Beach in Middletown for swimming based on results from water samples that show bacteria levels within acceptable limits. Third Beach has been closed since August 10th.
RIDOH also recommends closing Sandy Point Beach in Portsmouth, Conimicut Point Beach in Warwick, and Bristol Town Beach for swimming because of high bacteria levels. (Editor’s Note – This story has been updated to include that Conimicut Point Beach is in Warwick, not Portsmouth).
RIDOH will continue to monitor and review beach water quality regularly to ensure safe bathing throughout the summer season. The status of a beach may change on a daily basis. The most up-to-date beach information is available through a recorded message on RIDOH’s beaches telephone line (401-222-2751).
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13