From their humble beginnings in the basement of the Newport Boys & Girls Club to training world-class Volvo Ocean Race sailors at their gym at 1 Casino Terrace, founders Jesse Macrae, and Andrew Menton have worked hard to establish their place in the Rhode Island workout community.
Newport Boxfit, established in 2013, is a fun and effective way for people of all ages and fitness levels to stay in shape! The idea for Boxfit came from Macrae’s desire to maintain his boxing fitness regime in his new hometown of Newport, RI. Macrae, a native of New Zealand and passionate boxer for over 20 years, was surprised by the lack of boxing fitness in his new hometown. Rather than traveling to a gym off the island, he and co-founder Menton seized on the opportunity to start their own boxing program. “I searched around to find a gym where I could continue training,” said Macrae, “but when I didn’t find what I was looking for I thought, why not run my own class? 5 years later, here we are!”
Newport Boxfit consists of three trainers, Macrae, Menton and Karen Dulin. All bring their unique talents and teaching techniques to classes. Each trainer designs their own class structure. The goal is to test clients and push them both physically and mentally. “Our classes cater to all levels of fitness,” says Macrae, “we keep classes fresh by changing up routines so you get a great workout all while learning a new skill!”
In five years, Newport Boxfit has grown from 2 public classes a week to 13 public and 15 private group classes. Major accomplishments have been their work with the Edward King Senior Center, appearances on The Rhode Show, teaching at the Boys & Girls Club of Newport, expanding classes to the Jamestown Recreation Center and training world-class sailors in town for the 2018 Volvo Ocean Race!
“I would never have believed we would grow to where we are today,” Macrae said. “What makes me proud as an owner is the work we’ve done in our community. Collaborating with the Boys & Girls Club and Edward King House have been rewarding. Watching these two diverse groups improve in their physical and mental fitness, thanks to our trainer Karen, has been amazing.”
New clients are encouraged to stop by their gym at 1 Casino Terrace to sign up for classes. First classes are always free! Frequently asked questions, personal training options and a gallery of photos can be found at www.NewportBoxfit.com.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill