The Newport Art Museum and the Chanler at Cliff Walk will cohost a book signing and talk with author Donna M. Lucey, held on the Terrace at The Chanler at Cliff Walk, on Sunday, September 9 at 4 pm. Lucey will discuss her new book, Sargent’s Women: Four Lives Behind the Canvas, which shares the lives of four remarkable women painted by the renowned American portraitist John Singer Sargent. The hotel’s namesake, Elizabeth Chanler, is one of the four extraordinary figures in Ms. Lucey’s biography, and her portrait by Sargent graces the book’s cover.
Born into almost unimaginable wealth, the women Sargent painted were beautiful, stubborn, strong-willed, and fiercely independent. They lived exceptional lives, hobnobbing with the most sought-after figures in the art and literary worlds. Their portraits are like novellas: stories of forbidden love, family conflict, ambition, and desire. A multilayered, multi-life biography, Sargent’s Women shines a well-deserved light on the lives of four groundbreaking women.
Tickets to the event are $25 for Museum members and guests of the Chanler, and $30 for General Admission and are available at newportartmuseum.org. Light fare of seasonal appetizers and a glass of wine are included in the ticket price, courtesy of the Chanler’s Cara restaurant. Additional drinks may be purchased. Ms. Lucey will be available to sign hard and soft cover copies of the book, which will be available for purchase at the event.
For more information, visit www.newportartmuseum.org.
More from What's Up Newp
- Newport Gallery Night returns on August 12
- Obituary: Belmira Silvia
- Obituary: Jayne Ellen Byam
- Obituary: Susan Christie
- Obituary: Eileen Burke
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 3 Recap and Photos (August 1)
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)