Reads : The Campaign for 3rd Grade Reading — led by United Way of Rhode Island and Rhode Island KIDS COUNT — teamed up with Rhode Island Association for the Education of Young Children to arrange for community leaders to read at early learning programs across the state. In all , twenty-five members of the RI General Assembly read to babies and young children to promote high-quality early childhood education and early literacy
The following members of the General Assembly read to children in Newport.
- Senator Dawn Euer read to children at East Bay Community Action Program Head Start on John H. Chafee Blvd. in Newport.
- Representative Lauren H. Carson read to children at East Bay Community Action Program Head Start on John H. Chafee Blvd. in Newport.
Rhode Island Reads: The Campaign for 3rd Grade Reading is working to double the number of third-graders who can read on grade level by 2025. This spring, we worked to build awareness of the need for high-quality early learning opportunities for young children by organizing reading events in early learning programs across the state. This year, we focused on reading to infants and toddlers, because the roots of literacy begin in infancy. Thirty-six guest readers participated – 25 state legislators and 11 community leaders (see attached list).
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- RI Hospitality Association’s 18th Annual Economic Outlook Breakfast predicts continued recovery in 2022
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck