Bike Newport has announced that more than1,800 people each day – or 18% of attendees to the Newport Folk Festival – chose bikes over cars to attend the annual event at Fort Adams State Park last weekend, shattering prior records of 1,200 per day on Fridays (50% increase) and 1,500 per day on Saturdays (20% increase).
No other music festival in the US is known to have such a high percentage of bicyclists, according to Bike Newport.
Bike Newport, the local bicycle advocacy organization routes, greets, and assists the cyclists every year, facilitating the exponential growth from 500 cyclists in 2013 to the current 1,800 per day.
Photo provided by Bike Newport.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso