Island Books has announced that children’s author Chris Gorman will be at their store on Saturday, July 14th at 11 am. Gorman will be reading from and signing copies of his new children’s book One of a Kind.
One of a Kind is a picture book celebration of individuality and community. It tells the story of a boy who enjoys being different due to his love of punk-rock music, the way he dresses, and more, and who discovers other one-of-a-kind people who take away his loneliness. Gorman illustrates the book with bold, graphic art that captures the thrill and challenges of marching to one’s own beat.
Chris Gorman also wrote and illustrated Indi Surfs which The New York Times called, “As simultaneously exhilarating and meditative as surfing itself.” He is a surfer, artist, professional photographer, and drummer of the Grammy-nominated band Belly. He lives in Rhode Island with his wife and two children.
This event is free and open to the public.
ISLAND BOOKS is a locally-owned independent bookstore serving Newport County since 1993 located in Wyatt Square, 575 E. Main Road, Middletown.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13