The Senate today approved legislation sponsored by Senator Dawn Euer to lighten the regulatory burden on operators of food trucks.
The State Mobile Food Establishment Registration Act (2018-S 2502A), which Senator Euer introduced on behalf of the Department of Administration, would standardize the business registration process for trucks or carts that sell food, ice cream or lemonade by creating a state mobile food establishment registration, and would explicitly exempt such establishments from laws regulating hawkers and peddlers, according to a press release from the Rhode Island General Assembly’s Legislative Press & Public Information Bureau.
Currently, food truck and cart operators must navigate different regulatory structures in each municipality in which they operate. The bill would maintain the ability of municipalities to regulate location and hours of operation.
“As popular as food trucks are, Rhode Island’s complicated regulatory hurdles for them can hinder their development. Streamlining those regulations will encourage more people to launch new and exciting businesses that support families, provide jobs and strengthen Rhode Island’s rich culinary atmosphere,” said Senator Euer (D-Dist. 13, Newport, Jamestown) in a press release on Tuesday. “All of our communities are enriched when mom-and-pop businesses are able to flourish. Eliminating overregulation is a way we can support these small businesses, enhancing the character of our communities while allowing hardworking entrepreneurs to succeed.”
The bill now goes to the House of Representatives, where Rep. Brian Patrick Kennedy (D-Dist. 38, Hopkinton, Westerly) is sponsoring companion legislation (2018-H 7790). The Senate bill is cosponsored by Sen. Paul V. Jabour (D-Dist. 5, Providence), Sen. Gayle L. Goldin (D-Dist. 3, Providence), Sen. Adam J. Satchell (D-Dist. 9, West Warwick) and Sen. Ana B. Quezada (D-Dist. 2, Providence).
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21