The City of Newport is excited to celebrate the arrival of the summer! With summer right around the corner, it’s time to think about keeping our children healthy while school is out. The City of Newport provides free meals to children during the summer.
This summer, meals will be served at the following locations, dates and times. There are no income requirements or registration. Any child under age 18 may come to eat. For more information, contact Cindy King at (401) 842-1911.
You can come to the Summer Meals Program Kick-off BBQ to learn more about the summer meals program and for a day of fun with your family. The Kick-Off BBQ will be held on Thursday, June 28, 2018, from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. There is no cost to attend.
Each year, the U.S. Department of Agriculture partners with local organizations like Newport Public Schools to provide free meals to children when school is out for the summer. For more information about the national Summer Food Service Program, visit http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/summer. For more information on summer feeding sites near you, including locations and serving times around the state, contact the United Way by calling 211.
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating against based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal of retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.
The following is a list of open sites and anticipated meal times.
There will be no service on July 4th 2018
Aquidneck Park – Spring Street July 2-Aug 24 * 11:30 am -12:30 pm Thur
Vernon Park – Freeborn Street July 2-Aug 24 ** 11:30 am -12:30 pm
Miantonomi Park – Hillside Avenue June 28-Aug 31 12:00 noon -1:00 pm
Bayside Village – Third Street June 29 – Aug 31 12:00 noon -1:00 pm
Chapel Terrace – Chapel Street June 29 – Aug 31 11:30 am -12:30 pm
Festival Field Apartments – Girard Avenue June 29 – Aug 31 11:45 am – 12:45 pm
Salvation Army – Memorial Bvld July 9- Aug 24 (No Wed) # 12:00 noon -12:30 pm
Boys & Girls Club – York Street July 2 – Aug 17 + 8:00 am – 8:15 am Breakfast
- Field Trips Thursay ** Field Trips Friday # No Service on 8/13 VJ Day + No Service 8/10
Meals will be provided to all children, (18 years old or younger) at no charge and without discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million
- Frank Prosnitz: My Jazz Festival’s Top Picks
- Gerry Goldstein: Word horseplay draws some pun-gent responses