The Gulls improved to 3-1 on the season after defeating Ocean State 5 – 1 in Game 1 of the Pell Bridge Series on Saturday night. In his first appearance of the year, Northeastern’s David Stiehl gave up just one run on eight hits in five innings while recording eight strikeouts. Camrin Opp wore the loss for the Waves after allowing three runs on four hits in six innings on the mound.
The Gulls struck first in the top of the second inning after Jack Gethings’ two-RBI double plated Dylan Cloonan and Zach Hogueisson. Ocean State threatened early but David Stiehl proved his toughness as he worked out of two bases-loaded situations in consecutive innings.
Already leading 2 – 0, Newport added one more in the fifth on a timely two-out single by Dalton Reed, plating Dillon Plew from third. The Waves scored its only run of the game when Ryan Ward touched home off a two-out single by Michael Turner.
Newport’s bullpen answered the call as Gavin Sullivan, Nic Enright, and Nathan Wrighter combined for four innings of relief without allowing a run. Ocean State finished the ballgame with fifteen runners-left-on-base despite out-hitting Newport eleven to nine.
Dalton Reed provided Newport with ample insurance when he added another RBI single in the seventh and a solo homerun in the ninth. Through four games, Reed leads Newport with a .474 batting average and seven RBI.
The Gulls will head to North Adams on Sunday morning to face the SteepleCats (1-3) for the second time in three days. First pitch from Joe Wolfe field is set for 4:30 p.m. In their first matchup, Newport defeated North Adams by a score of 8 – 0 at
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)