Newport picked up its second win of the summer in an 8-0 victory over the North Adams SteepleCats (0-3). The Gulls offense was led by Kody Hoese and Cole Austin, who both went deep for the Gulls. Hoese’s two-run shot put him atop the New England Collegiate Baseball League in home runs with three on the season. Newport scored in five consecutive innings, starting with two runs in the third. The Gulls’ 15 hits matched a season-high, now plating 30 runs in its last three games.
Jeremiah Burke got the start for Newport throwing 4.1 scoreless innings while surrendering two hits. Austin Mihlbauer earned the win for the Gulls he held North Adams off the scoreboard without allowing a hit in 1.2 innings on the hill.
Mihlbauer combined with Dartmouth’s Austen Michel for 4.2 scoreless innings of relief to finish the shutout for the Gulls. Stanley Vargas picked up the loss for North Adams, surrendering five runs on seven hits in 3.2 innings.
Newport travels to Old Mountain Field to take on the Ocean State Waves (1-1) on Saturday night, first pitch set for 6:30 p.m
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Gallery Night returns on August 12
- Obituary: Belmira Silvia
- Obituary: Jayne Ellen Byam
- Obituary: Susan Christie
- Obituary: Eileen Burke
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 3 Recap and Photos (August 1)
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)