(Pictured Ronnie Fatulli in 1979. The lobster weighed 30 pounds!)
On Thursday, June 21, 2018, the Newport Lobster Shack and Fishermen of Newport will honor Ronnie Fatulli for his lifelong commitment to the commercial fishing industry of Newport, his love of the working waterfront and his successful efforts to insure a permanent commercial pier in the City of Newport.
Business owners, locals and tourists alike are invited to join in the celebration at State Pier #9 located at 150 Long Warf, Newport, RI. The ceremony will begin promptly at 11:00AM and will feature speeches by Mayor Harry Winthrop, Director of the DEM, Janet Coit, Bill Palumbo and Alan Eagles. A plaque will be presented to Mr. Fatulli for his service and The Lobster Shack pavilion will be renamed the ‘Ronnie Fatulli Pavilion.’
“We are forever indebted to Ronnie for preserving a piece of the Newport waterfront for the commercial fishing industry,” said David Spencer, “this ceremony and dedication of the pavilion is our way of thanking him for all he’s done.”
The Newport Lobster Shack is a cooperative from which Newport’s fishermen sell their catch directly to the public, guaranteeing it to be the freshest around. They are open daily for folks to celebrate National Lobster Day, or any day, with a fresh, locally-caught Newport lobster!
The Newport Lobster Shack was founded in 2009 by the Fishermen in Newport. They sell live and prepared lobsters & crab, and live conch. Current Hours are: Kitchen: Monday-Thursday 11:30am-7pm, Friday & Saturday 11:30am-8pm; Live Market: Thursday-Monday 10am-6pm www.NewportLobsterShack.com
More From What’s Up Newp
- This Day in RI History: May 18, 1652 – Rhode Island becomes the first colony to pass an anti-slavery law
- Now Hiring: 125+ job opportunities available right now
- Rhode Island Hospitality Jobs: RI Hospitality Association launches new website for employers and job seekers
- Governor McKee, RIDOH change up COVID-19 press conference schedule, will now take place every other Thursday
- CCRI hosts 5th Annual Raising Opportunities Benefit to support students’ ‘comeback’ amidst pandemic