All kinds of music around the state this weekend on our weekly round-up “Six Picks.” Read on for some of the area’s best shows.
Cheryl Wheeler Saturday at Courthouse Center (Kingston)
RI Music Hall of Fame inductee Cheryl Wheeler returns to the area Saturday night for a show at the Courthouse Center for the Arts. The folksinger, known for her penetrating lyrics and shrewd wit, began her recording career in 1983 with Newport Songs, and has since released several albums including her latest “Greetings: Cheryl Wheeler Live” featuring Kenny White. Details about the Courthouse show here.
Women of RISSA Saturday at Mediator Stage (Providence)
Saturday night finds the “Women of RISSA,” (Rhode Island Singer-Songwriter Association) playing a special show at Mediator Stage in Providence. Check out some of the area’s best up and coming artists including Lori Diamond, Kristen Graves and Lainey Dionne. Jan Luby hosts – Complete details here.
Tai Chi Funk Squad and Saturday at Jimmy’s (Newport)
Bring on the funk Saturday night at Jimmy’s Saloon in Newport where the Tai Chi Funk Squad plays along with special guest Jabbawaukee. The Johnston-based band was the 2017 Motif Magazine winner in the “Best Jam Band” category. They’ll be joined by fellow jam band favorites, Providence-based Jabbawaukee. You’ll be groovin’ all night – details here.
Slayer Friday at Mohegan Sun (Uncasville)
One of metal’s all time great bands plays Mohegan Sun Friday night when Slayer arrives in town as part of their final tour. The Grammy winning band set the standard for the Thrash/Metal/Punk genre since forming almost 40 years ago. Opening are a slew of fellow travelers including Lamb of God, Anthax, Behemoth and Testament. Tickets and further details available here.
LANY Sunday at Fete (Providence)
LA based LANY plays Fete in Providence Sunday night. Behind electro-pop tunes like “Superfan” and “ILYSB,” the group has made quite a splash on both coasts (LA and NY). Check out their recent self-titled album, and then head to the Fete ballroom Sunday night. Colouring opens. Details here.
Imagine Dragons Wednesday at Xfinity Center (Mansfield)
Our “big show” of the week is Wednesday June 6th when Imagine Dragons play the Xfinity amphitheater in Mansfield. Check out the top streaming band in the world best known for hits like “Thunder” and “Radioactive.” Grace Vanderwaal opens. Tickets still available – details here.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year