The holiday weekend means more time to enjoy live music! We’ve got your “Six Picks” this week all over the Ocean State and beyond. Summer’s here… Bring it on!
Z-Boys Thursday at Newport Blues Cafe (Newport)
Its an all-Newport show tonight at the Newport Blues Café as Thursday “residents” the Z-Boys host fellow islanders Silverteeth. Both bands have been slowly building their fan base behind impressive tunes like “Emily” and “Shoes.” See below and head to Newport Blues tonight. Details here.
Jazz Thursday at Norey’s (Newport)
Jazz fans won’t want to miss “Hittin’ the Note” a Herbie Hancock tribute at Noreys in Newport Thursday. A quintet of Newport’s finest led by Aaron Abrahamson Cote will be jammin’ starting around 8PM with a few special guests. Check out their interpretation of Hancock classics along with their own original tunes. Details here.
Parquet Courts Thursday at Fete (Providence)
The indie rock sounds of Parquet Courts come to Fete in Providence Thursday night. The NYC (by way of Texas) band just release a new album, Wide Awaaaaake, produced by Danger Mouse and described by Pitchfork as “joyfully absurd, danceable rock music.” Check out a preview below – ticket info and further details here. Goat Girls open.
Keith Sweat Friday at Twin River
R&B star Keith Sweat stops by the Twin River Events Center Friday night. The award-winning singer brings his soulful sound and slow jamz to Lincoln, in support of his recent album Dress to Impress. Full details here.
Primus and Mastedon Saturday at Bold Point (East Providence)
Turn up the volume …. the concert season gets underway Thursday at Bold Point Park in East Providence with a rock show from Grammy winners Primus along with fellow travelers Mastedon. Both bands are highly respected innovators in the hard rock/metal genre. All Then Witches opens. Complete details here.
Dead and Co. Wednesday at Xfinity Center (Mansfield)
What’s a summer night (well, late Spring) without a visit from Dead and Company? Former members of the original jam band, the Grateful Dead, continue their resurrection touring with guitar great John Mayer who has admirably stood in for the late Jerry Garcia. The band begins its summer tour at the Xfintiy Center in Mansfield Wednesday night. Tickets still available here.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Pop-Punk band Another One Down! releases single + video “Headspace”
- 23 open houses happening this weekend (Sept. 17 – 19)
- X Shore: Swedish electric boating brand opens office at Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard
- Westerly Town Manager quits; Police Chief expected to be appointed interim manager
- City of Newport to kick off American Rescue Plan fund engagement process
- Newport Polo to host USA versus Mexico on Saturday
- What’sUp Interview: Sean Oshima of Oshima Brothers coming to Norman Bird Sanctuary September 24th
- ReVision: Newport Art Museum announces new exhibition by Annu Palakunnathu Matthew
- Aquidneck Land Trust announces the start of its annual Art & Writing Contest
- Gerry Goldstein: Music, with nature calling the tune