Motorists traveling over the Newport Pell Bridge this holiday weekend will enjoy the view of an American flag suspended from the west tower of the Bridge. In honor of Memorial Day Weekend, The Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority (RITBA) will fly the flag starting Friday afternoon, May 25th through Tuesday, May 29th.
This is not the first time for RITBA, an American flag was flown on the Mount Hope Bridge for Flag Day in June of 2017. The American flags on each Bridge will be featured for significant American holidays and celebrations. You can see a full list of dates that the flags will be flown here.
Travelers driving over the bridges will now be able to witness the prominent display of the flags as a stunning exhibit of patriotism, spirit, and local history
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now