After much-awaited anticipation, Rustica Kitchen opened for the first time at 404 Thames Street on Thursday morning at 8 am.
The folks behind the newest restaurant to open in Newport are Matt and Anna Tscheulin, chef and owners of Rosemary & Thyme Artisan Bakery/Cafe.
Rustica Kitchen will be serving up street-driven and chef-driven food: “I want to make the stuff that I (and other chefs) like to eat. I think people like to get a little messy,” Matt told What’sUpNewp back in February.“I’d like to take four or five really good ingredients that are combined in a way that you have enough food to satisfy people, but yet it’s unique. I want to take things (like a hotdog) and put my spin and creativity on it.”
Rustica is currently open daily from 8 am to 3 pm and is serving breakfast and lunch. Things that will eventually be available at Rustica Kitchen will include a phone-order only menu, grab-and-go street food snacks, use of BYOB, industry nights, brunch, dinner, and more. The Tscheulins anticipate that Rustica Kitchen will be open year-round.
During this “opening period” for Rustica, Rosemary & Thyme will be closed from April 10th – 24th so the staff and owners can focus on getting the new restaurant off the ground and running. When Rosemary & Thyme reopens it will be open from 7 am to 12 pm daily, continuing to serve up fresh, scratch-made artisanal baked goods, stuffed breakfast croissants, bagels, and other breakfast items.
For more information on the new restaurant and possible changes that could come for Rosemary & Thyme, see our original February 1st story – Owners of Rosemary & Thyme opening second restaurant in Newport
Rosemary & Thyme is located at 382 Spring Street in Newport. Rustica Kitchen is located at 404 Thames Street in Newport.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- RI Hospitality Association’s 18th Annual Economic Outlook Breakfast predicts continued recovery in 2022
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck