Rail Explorers, featuring pedal-powered rail bikes, will begin its 2018 Rhode Island operation season with tours beginning on Saturday, May 12th.
Rail Explorers offers scenic rides on the historic railroad along Aquidneck Island and spectacular Narragansett Bay. Rail Explorers Rhode Island Division is presented by the Newport and Narragansett Bay Railroad.
“Over 23,000 riders enjoyed Rail Explorers Rhode Island in 2017 and we are grateful for the community support we have received,” stated Rail Explorers CEO Mary Joy Lu in a news release. “We have been able to employ over 30 local residents and to support many charities,” said Lu.
The Explorer rail bikes have 4 steel wheels, hydraulic disc brakes, pedals for each seat, and are comfortable, fun and easy to ride. Although the rail explorers require pedaling, the magic of steel wheels on steel rails makes the experience very different from riding a regular bicycle. Tandem Rail Explorer (2 riders) or Quad Rail Explorer (4 riders) are available.
All tours begin at 1 Alexander Road in Portsmouth and are available from May 12 through October, the tour takes approximately 90 minute. Free parking is available at the Rail Explorers depot. Group, private, team building, educational and special topic tours are available. Rail Explorers private motor coach is available for round-trip group transportation.
For tickets, gift cards and information, visit www.railexplorers.net or call 877-833-8588. Reservations are recommended.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)