Newport Rugby kick off their 2018 season in historic fashion when they compete for the Rhode Island Cup inside the walls of Fort Adams on Sunday, April 8. The 2 pm game will headline festivities to commemorate 30 Days to the opening of the Volvo Ocean Race Village in conjunction with Sail Newport, Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover, the Fort Adams Trust and the Rhode Island National Guard. Entry is free.
The Rhode Island Cup features the state’s two premier teams – Newport Rugby vs. Providence Rugby. Newport maintains a 5-year stranglehold on the Cup and will use the match to prepare for the New England Championship and the National Championship playoffs.
The match will be sponsored by the Rhode Island National Guard who has commissioned commemorative jerseys for both teams. Major General Christopher P. Callahan, the Adjutant General and Commanding General of the RI National Guard will be on hand to toss the coin and the Rogers High JROTC will present colors.
McGrath Clambakes and A Fork In The Road food truck and will provide food concessions and the Heineken Beer Garden will help quench the thirst of spectators.
- Location: Fort Adams Drive, Fort Adams State Park – Newport, Rhode Island
- Date: Sunday, April 8, 2018
- 12:00 pm Gates open (free entry)
- 2:00 pm Rhode Island Cup – Newport Rugby vs. Providence Rugby
- 3:45 pm Newport Rugby vs. Providence Rugby (2nd Division)
Newport Rugby Upcoming Games (1:00 pm kick-off):
- April 14th vs South Shore (Fort Adams)
- April 21st vs Worcester – New England Playoffs Semi Final (Fort Adams)
- April 28th vs TBD – New England Playoffs Final (Fort Adams) [Pending victory on April 14 and 21]
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- RI Hospitality Association’s 18th Annual Economic Outlook Breakfast predicts continued recovery in 2022
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck