Six Picks is our weekly rounded of some of the best in area music. Indie bands dominate the landscape this week – Read on for details! (Pictured: Anais Mitchell, Photo: Jay Sansone)
Salvation #12 Thursday at Salvation Café (Newport)
The Salvation music series, faithfully curated by Bob Kendall, continues Thursday at the Salvation Café in Newport. Two roots-based bands promise to shake things up when The Quahogs and The Horse-Eyed Men (video below) take over the upstairs space at Salvation. Tickets and further details available here.
Anais Mitchell Saturday at Common Fence (Portsmouth)
Anais Mitchell is an acclaimed singer-songwriter and storyteller from Brooklyn, NY via Vermont. She’s penned a “folk-opera,” appeared at NPR’s Tiny Desk and won a BBC Radio Two Folk Award. She’s playing Common Fence Music in Portsmouth Saturday night – a few tickets remain here.
Vudu Sister Friday at Columbus Theatre (Providence)
Friday night, Vudu Sister brings their delightfully dark magic to the Columbus Theatre in Providence. The band is led by singer-songwriter Keith McCurdy, and includes Amato Zinno and Dianne O’Connor. For a preview of their sound, check out my review here: http://nodepression.com/album-review/conversations-grim-reaper. Openers include local favorites Chelsea + Damian of Tall Teenagers, and Rachel Rosenkrantz. Show details here.
Avi Jacob Friday at AS220 (Providence)
It’s a dual record release show Friday at AS220. Surrender is the new release from Avi Jacob, an up and coming singer-songwriter from Providence. His song “Pickup Truck” was recently featured on FolkRadioUK.com and in American Songwriter Magazine. In addition, Boston’s Wolff Sisters will be releasing their new album Cahoon Hollow. Ant Savino opens. Click here for details.
Neutral Nation Saturday at The Parlour (Providence)
One of PVD’s original punk bands returns to The Parlour in Providence Saturday night. The first punk band to be inducted into the RI Music Hall of Fame, Neutral Nation will rock hard in one of the states best dive bars. Details here. Earplugs optional.
Triple-Header (three bands) at News Café Saturday (Pawtucket)
Pawtucket’s News Café is becoming a destination for indie bands around Providence. Saturday night, check out three of them: Mr. Frizzle, Icky Woods, and The Adjuncts. They’re all new to us, head to the News Café and let us know what you think. Details here.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million