Update & Reminder – With thousands expected to attend the Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover between May 8th – 20th, What’sUpNewp reached out to RITBA back on March 4th to see what impact there could potentially be on traffic during the race in regards to lane closures on the Pel Bridge. “We have put in the contract that the contractor will not be allowed lane closures during the Volvo event, so we do not anticipate any significant impact,” Eric Offenberg, Director of Engineering for RITBA told What’sUpNewp. “We have also just lifted the weight restrictions on the Newport Bridge as of today (March 1st) so there should be no impact to the deliveries starting in late April with all of the Volvo tents”.
The Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority (RITBA)has provided the following construction report and traffic advisory update. Starting in April, there will be multiple RITBA projects in progress. These projects include work on the Mount Hope Bridge, Sakonnet River Bridge, Newport Pell Bridge, Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge and the Route 138 Connector.
Mount Hope Bridge (April 2018 start):
· Lane closures 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and some night time work
· Continuation of steel repairs and painting (South Approach) Portsmouth side
· Work on bridge deck to include deck patching, safety walk concrete repairs & caulking, painting of inboard side of girders and suspender rope sockets
· Pressure washing of bridge members on and below deck
Sakonnet River Bridge (May 2018 start):
· Lane closures 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
· Concrete repairs to bridge parapets
· On-going demolition of old Sakonnet River Bridge (RIDOT project)
Newport Pell Bridge (April 2018 start):
· Lane closures predominantly 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. with additional night work during the summer
· Bridge joint work, deck patching and safety walk repair
· Bridge Main Cable Inspection Project
· Touch-up painting of main span safety walk and deck railing
Jamestown Bridge (April 2018 start):
· Lane closures from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
· Sealing and spall repair of cracks on the bridge deck
Route 138 (April 2018 start):
· Lane closures predominantly nights and weekends with some 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. during the week
· Deck repair of Fisherman’s Wharf Access Road Bridge (North Kingstown)
· Pavement Rehabilitation Project (Jamestown)
To stay up to date and receive the latest on construction activity and real-time traffic, visit RITBA’s site at RITBA.org. This site provides the latest information concerning lane closures, construction activities and traffic delays for the Newport Pell, Jamestown Verrazzano, Mount Hope and Sakonnet River Bridges, in addition to the RT 138 Connector.